This is not a cheerful article and it is one somebody needs when they need it.

Relocations fall apart. An offer gets rescinded, a department's funding changes, a role is restructured, a spouse's situation shifts, a family emergency reorders everything. It happens more often than people realize, and it tends to happen after a family is already deep into a move.

If that is where you are, here is what to do in what order.

Tell your lender and your agent today

Not next week when you have processed it. Today.

Almost every protection available to you runs on a deadline, and deadlines do not pause because your circumstances changed. A contingency period that expires while you are absorbing the news is a protection you no longer have.

Your lender needs to know because your approval was based on employment that may no longer exist. Continuing toward closing on a loan you no longer qualify for is not a plan, and lenders commonly re-verify employment shortly before closing anyway.

Your agent needs to know because the options depend on exactly where you are in the process, and the differences are large.

This is uncomfortable to do quickly. Do it quickly anyway.

Find out exactly where you stand in the contract

The single question that matters is which contingencies are still in force.

A financing contingency is usually the relevant one here, because losing the job typically means losing the approval, and that is precisely the scenario it exists to cover. If you are inside that period and the loan cannot proceed, you generally have a path out with your earnest money.

If contingencies have already been released, the picture is different and more difficult. That does not mean you have no options, and it does mean the conversation shifts toward negotiation with the seller rather than a contractual right.

I go through what each protection does in contingencies in an Indiana purchase agreement and what is at stake in earnest money explained.

This is also a point where talking to an attorney is genuinely warranted. I can tell you how these situations usually go. I cannot tell you what your specific contract obligates, and on a decision this size you want someone who can.

Talk to the seller honestly

This surprises people, and in my experience it is often the most productive step available.

Sellers are human beings with their own plans, and most of them respond reasonably to a straight explanation. A buyer whose job disappeared is a very different situation from a buyer with cold feet, and sellers can usually tell the difference.

Sometimes that produces a clean release. Sometimes it produces an extension while you sort out your situation, particularly if the seller believes you may still be able to proceed. Sometimes it produces a partial compromise on the deposit.

What it almost never produces is a worse outcome than going quiet and letting deadlines run. Handled early and honestly, these conversations tend to go better than people fear.

If you already sold your current home

This is the hardest version, and the priority changes.

The question stops being which house to buy and becomes where to live. Those are different problems and conflating them leads to bad decisions.

Options worth exploring, roughly in order. A rent-back arrangement with the people buying your old home, if that closing has not happened yet. Short-term rental housing while you figure out the next step. Staying with family briefly, which nobody enjoys and which beats a rushed purchase.

What I would avoid is buying a house quickly because you need somewhere to be. That is how people end up owning a home chosen under duress in a town they may no longer be moving to. Temporary housing in Greater Lafayette covers what is available here.

Do not decide anything permanent this week

Beyond the deadline-driven items above, resist making large decisions immediately.

The instinct after a plan collapses is to replace it right away with a new plan, because uncertainty is uncomfortable. That instinct produces expensive choices.

Handle what is time-sensitive. Protect your deposit, stop the loan, communicate with the seller, secure somewhere to live. Then give yourself a couple of weeks before deciding whether you are still moving, still buying, or doing something else entirely.

The market will still be here. So will I.

If the move is only delayed

Sometimes it is a postponement rather than a cancellation. A start date pushes to next semester, a role is reposted, a transfer is deferred.

That is genuinely easier and it deserves its own approach. Rather than forcing a purchase onto the old timeline, rebuild the runway around the new one.

Keep your lender relationship warm and let them know what changed, because you will need a fresh approval when the time comes. Keep watching the market so you stay calibrated rather than starting cold in six months. And if the delay is short, a short-term rental often costs less than the alternatives.

The Relocation Runway is built for exactly this kind of rebuilding, and buying before your job start date covers the risks of getting ahead of a date that is not firm.

The practical cleanup

Beyond the contract itself there is a list of things already in motion, and stopping them promptly saves money.

Cancel the inspection, the appraisal if it has not been ordered, and anything else scheduled. Some of these are refundable before they happen and none of them are afterward.

Stop the movers, or find out what the cancellation terms are. Moving companies book far ahead and their deposit policies vary considerably.

Pause utility transfers, mail forwarding, and school enrollment if you had started those. Undoing a school enrollment mid-process is more complicated than starting one, so tell them early.

And if you had given notice on a rental, talk to your landlord immediately. Many are willing to reverse it if the unit has not been re-leased, and that window closes fast.

None of this is complicated. It is just a list, and lists are hard to make in a bad week, which is why it helps to have someone else holding it.

How to reduce this risk next time

Not a criticism of anyone this has happened to. Some of these situations are genuinely unforeseeable. A few things do help.

Do not release contingencies early unless you have a clear reason and understand the exposure. In a competitive situation there is pressure to strengthen an offer by removing protections, and that pressure is exactly what those protections exist to withstand.

Be careful about timing a purchase ahead of a start date that has not been formalized. An offer letter and a signed, countersigned agreement are different things.

Ask what your relocation package actually covers if a move is cancelled. People rarely read that part and it occasionally matters a great deal. What relocation packages cover goes through the terms.

And keep reserves. A household with cushion has options. A household without one has whatever it can arrange in a week.

The part I actually want to say

I have sat with families in this exact situation, and the thing that helps most is not optimism. It is having someone handle the logistics so that the people involved can think.

That means making the calls, working out where the contract actually stands, talking to the seller's agent, and being straight about what each option is likely to cost. None of it makes the underlying situation better. It does keep a bad week from becoming an expensive year.

If your move has fallen apart and you need someone to sort out where you stand, grab a time on my calendar. A real person reads every message, and there is no obligation attached. No pressure either way.